10 interesting facts you didn’t know about languages
- The world counts between 6000 and 7000 languages in 189 independent states and most of the world’s languages are spoken in Asia and Africa.
- There are 2,400 endangered languages that is they can disappear completely if nothing is done to rescue them.
- By the way, 231 languages are now completely extinct and it is believed that one language dies about every 14 days. This entails that most of culture of the language disappears with it.
- There are 12 imaginary languages in Lord of The Rings.
- Some languages are classified as romance languages. Some of them are Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese and Romanian.
- Esperanto is an artificial language, but is spoken by about 500,000 to 2,000,000 people, and 2 feature films have been done in the language.
- The longest word in English has 45 letters: ‘pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis’! It is a type of lung disease caused by inhaling ash and sand dust. The second is “electrophotomicrographically”
- Try to play with this tongue twister believed to be among the most difficult in the English language: “sixth sick sheik’s sixth sheep’s sick”.
- ‘Queueing’ is the only word with five consecutive vowels (five vowels in a row).
- The following sentence contains seven different spellings of the sound “ee”: “He believed Caesar could see people seizing the seas”.